flat blue screen when I turn it on

Moderator: Moderators

Aniea
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

flat blue screen when I turn it on

Post by Aniea »

My computer is not starting up every time I turn it on. Yesterday and today I had to force it to turn off using the start button and restart it for it to start normally. Please advise.
Aniea
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

First thing to do....

Back up your files/computer.

You can use "cloud" storage or external USB drive, just make sure you have a copy of everything you want for when your computer will not restart ever again.

Now of the good/bad news.

It sounds like you may have some corrupt files. Its possible that the files were corrupted by a windows update, malware, or even just cosmic rays.

I have a machine will nearly always fail to boot the first time, but I can hit control - alt - delete and on the 2nd attempt it will always boot. Sometimes you can get lucky and just find what works and limp along for a while.

After you have backed up your files, you can start trying to 'repair' or 'replace' your operating system.

Can you provide more details about your PC?

----------------------

1. What is the make/model of the computer?

2. How old is the machine?

3. Is the machine a laptop ? or a desktop?

4. If it is a desktop do you feel comfortable opening the machine up and looking inside?
bubbakat

Post by bubbakat »

An easy try is to go to system restore and restore to previous date that did not have problem
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

Another thing to check is you're computer video cables. Make sure everything is securely connected.
Aniea

Post by Aniea »

Thank you. I will take it to my I Fix Computers place. I do not remember how to see what it is made of but I told someone in the guild when the game went to 64. I will return when I get it out of the shop. Thank you for helping.
Aniea
Phaolin

Post by Phaolin »

Here a few easy things you can try when having weird windows issues.

Open command prompt as administrator. Run the system file checker using this command ...

sfc /scannow

This will look through your windows files an fix any corrupt ones it finds, checking against a known good copy.

Of course, it's always possible that the "known good copy" stored on your pc it is checking against has also gotten corrupted, so you can d/l a new "known good copy" using this command ...

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It is always best practice to reboot after each command, but your mileage may vary.
Phaolin

Post by Phaolin »

Funny enough, I took my own advice and did this to my main PC after posting, and found and fixed some corrupted windows files.
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

Great info Phao. I'll have to give that a try.