MTG

Place where people can talk about other games other than our beloved EQ1

Moderator: Moderators

Rapitiss
Officer
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

MTG

Post by Rapitiss »

I'm looking for some ideas for MTG. Here is what I'm currently thinking of trying for the next MTG card night:

Code: Select all

24	Mountain
3	Boros Reckoner (RRR) - 3/3 : (R) First strike - Reflect damage
3	Spitemare (2RR) - 3/3 :  Reflect damage
2	Blaspemous Act (8R) - Deal 13 damage to all creatures. Cost 1 less for each creature
4	Magma Jet (1R) - Deal 2 damage - Scry 2
3	Lightning bolt (R) - Deals 3 damage
4	Sun Droplets (2)
2	Nirvals Disk (4)
2	Browbeat (2R) - Pay 5 life or draw 3
4	Shattering Spree (R) - Replicate  (R) - Destroy artifact
4	Pyrohemia (2RR) - Enchant : (R) Deal 1 damage to all
2	Smoke (RR) : Enc : Each player can only untap one creature
4	Gauntlet of Might (4) : Art : All red +1/+1 and extra mana
Thanks Fish for pointing out Jeff Hoogland channel, his builds are a lot more balanced.
Cantus

Post by Cantus »

Haven't played for several years, but if you have Nevinyrral's Disk, I'm guessing this is Vintage or Legacy? You have multiples of stuff other than basic lands (and less than 100), so can't be Commander...

Not familiar with the current meta, and this is my first time seeing many of those cards, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Looks like your main win condition is laying out (ideally) multiple Reckoners and Spritmares, pumping RR into Pyrohemia every turn (yours and opponents) before the end step (as long as it wouldn't kill off your reflectors), and/or dropping a Blasphemous Act to reflect the damage to your opponent?

If so, would there be value in running four of those creatures to increase your chances of drawing/dropping them, replacing them if they die blocking (which also reflects damage on your opponent or kills off one of their threats), and to have more in play to reduce the cost of Blasphemous Act? Not only do they help you win, but they're also one of your best sources of defense from creature damage. Though neither of them fly...

Any value in dropping one or two Magma Jets either for additional reflect creatures or an additional Browbeat (which seems great in this deck)?

Pyrohemia is obviously huge and you want to get it up and running ASAP, but unless you find yourself losing them with no creatures out frequently, could you drop down to 3? Note the ruling for it:
Note that “until end of turn� effects wear off after “at the beginning of the end step� triggered abilities, so an artifact that animates until end of turn can keep this on the battlefield.
What are those lands that you can temporarily turn into creatures? Mishra's Factory or something like that? If necessary, animate one just before the end step to keep Pyrohemia up?

Sun Droplet is going to work well with Pyrohemia - healing much of the damage you do to yourself. But unless there's an interaction I'm missing (which is entirely possible - I'm tired, and haven't played in years) it doesn't seem strong enough to run four of. An extra Bolt, fourth copy of the reflector creatures, an extra Smoke... all seem better. It's at most 2 points of healing each round (one on your turn, one on your opponent's, right?) But I may be missing something.

Smoke is a great one here. Hell, replace four Mountains with Volcanic Islands and run a couple copies of Stasis as well. Or not, because at best you'd only be able to keep it running for three turns, and Stasis would prevent you from untapping Mountains to fuel Pyrohemia. Yeah. Ignore me.

What about a Blood Moon in the main deck or sideboard? You're completely immune to it, but chances are your opponent is not.

Blood Moon would turn a Mishra's Factory into a Mountain if you had both in play, but no big deal. Factory is useful to you as a source of colorless mana that can also turn into a temporary 2/2, but it's also useful to you as a basic Mountain if you drop Blood Moon.

I was going to suggest Mana Flare, but while you could probably pump another R into Pyrohemia in response to your own previous activation of it before the previous activation resolved, that doesn't matter... the third activation that finally resolves will kill off your reflectors, and any additional activations waiting on the stack won't be duplicated and reflected by your characters, right? Unless one more point of damage would finish off your opponent (or one of their threat creatures), you'd never want to feed more than RR into Pyrohemia in a given turn, right?
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

This is my all time favorite deck " Killing you with cards " - Draw a card - Take damage ...

Code: Select all

20	Swamp
1	Jet Mox (0) - 1 mana
1	Soul Ring (1) - 2 Mana
1	Black Lotus (0) - 3 mana
2	Dark Ritual (B) - 3 mana
1	Guilded Lotus (5) - 3 Mana
1	Demonic Tutor (1B) - Get card put in hand
1	Vampiric Tutor (B) - Get card put on library -2 life
4	Wall of Souls (1B) - 0/4 wall - reflects melee damage to attacking creature
4	Fate Unraveler (3B) - 3/4 - When opponent draws card - does 1 pt of damage to them
4	Underworld Dreams BBB - 1 pt per card drawn
3	Teleri's Puzzle Box (4) - during draw phase - put hand on bottom of lib - draw that many cards
2	Howling Mine (2) - Draw extra card
2	Sinkhole (BB) - Destroy Land
3	Ensnaring Bridge (3) - Creatures of power greater than number of cards in hand can not attack
2	Static Orb (3) - Only untap two cards.
3	Damnation (2BB) - Black Wrath of God
4	Vampiric Link (B) - enchantment lifelink
3	Sensei's Diviing Top (1) 
Early on we start with this

1 - Sensei's Diving Top - which is a very nice look ahead artifact that can help with bad draws
2 - Wall of souls - as a defender to block the early rush, maybe get a sink hole for their special lands.
3 - Ensnaring Bridge - this is primary defensive - shuts down attacking.

Then get out the damage with

3 - Underworld Dreams so each time they draw a card they take damage
4 - Fate Unraveler is more of the same AND a creature

Slow ability to play cards

3 - Static Orb

Ramp the damage up with

2 - Howling mines - extra card
4 - Teleri's Puzzle Box <-- This can double or triple damage

Use Damnation and Vampiric Link to clear the board or stop key big creatures

The crazy part of this is it hits all your opponents and its all passive.
Fishlips

Post by Fishlips »

I know almost nothing about the format that your decks are legal in. I think Top is banned, but not sure.
Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

This sounds very "don't care about the format, kitchen table with friends" magic. Very fun. I love passive decks =)
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
Cantus

Post by Cantus »

Alsmack wrote:This sounds very "don't care about the format, kitchen table with friends" magic. Very fun. I love passive decks =)
Definitely!

Rap, I completely overlooked a major part of your deck - Gauntlet of Might. Works nicely with your strategy - allowing your reflecting creatures to absorb more Pyrohemia pings without dying, and providing more Pyrohemia activation mana per Mountain tap. That's huge!

I had some thoughts and Googled for deck editors to throw them in. I know nothing about this site (just registered for this purpose), but I believe this represents your deck.

Here are some thoughts for you to consider.

It's at 65 cards, so it's definitely not a finished deck - you'd want to shave five cards out of it at the very least.

There's a Sideboard, though it's not particularly good. I threw a bunch of cards that you might want to think about in the Maybeboard.

There are a few new cards I think could be great in your deck that were too good to throw in the "Maybeboard", but for the most part I just threw one each in the deck. If they're good enough to include, you probably want more than just one to increase odds of actually seeing one - except maybe for big, costly, late-game finishers like Star of Extinction. So yeah... it's not really a deck, it's more just card suggestions for you to consider.
Tegene

Post by Tegene »

I haven't played in about 5 years, but here was my Commander (Tournament Win) deck.