New laptop

Moderator: Moderators

Ylyrra
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

New laptop

Post by Ylyrra »

Hey gang - so my desktop looks like it's finally about to die. I have a few more things to try to extend it a little longer, but I want to go ahead and start thinking of a replacement. Instead of going with another desktop, I want a laptop. Most of what I've seen only have one HDMI connection, and as I'd like to be able to game on it, I want to be able to extend to dual monitors + the laptop screen.

I have 2 of these monitors:
http://www1.la.dell.com/content/topics/ ... &cs=bmdhs1

Advice?
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.
Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

For 3D gaming, you really need direct connections to the video card. The most usual scenario is laptop screen + external.

You'll either need a laptop that advertises multiple external monitor compatibility, (maybe one can use both DVI and an HDMI, or one that has multiple display port outs that you can convert to HDMI), or get a laptop that has thunderbolt3/usb-c connectivity that can hook up to an external graphics card, and game using that. Or some will support a dock. But really, thunderbolt is probably your best option for this, the problem is these are not thunderbolt capable monitors.

Any of the USB based graphics cards (There's some matrix ones to add lots of monitors to laptops) won't work well for 3d gaming, they are basically 2d desktop apps only kind of stuff from my experience.

Then again, I haven't bought laptop stuff in a while, so I could be wrong. This article talks more about the dock/external monitor options I was referring to:

https://www.howtogeek.com/306237/how-to ... ur-laptop/

It's from May, but as far as I know all the technology is still relevant.
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
Faeodorus

Post by Faeodorus »

I have a 2015msi gaming laptop which can connect to multiple displays. 1 hdmi port + 2 display port minis. I just bought display port mini to hdmi cables to use it with 2+ hdmi monitors. I would check on newegg. I would imagine a gtx 1080 is probably what you want if youre going to run 3x 1080p displays.
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

I've had a few of the higher end MSI gaming laptops at work and they have a lot of bag for the buck. One of my co-workers takes his home a lot and now has the screen separating from the plastic shell, so if you plan to travel around you might want to consider an extended warranty.

I love doing what if purchases for computers :)

Start with:

#1 How much are you willing to spend?

#2 How big of a screen do you want?

#3 How heavy are you willing to go?

Some nice to have features for gaming:

#4 Dedicated NVidia / AMD video

#5 Large SSD for OS + room for games. ( Often cheaper to buy after the fact and upgrade yourself )

#6 Recommend a quad core CPU.
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

Rapi - have you had any issues with the other MSI's? How long have they been in service? I've read several reviews stating the same thing you said about their casing being unreliable, so I'm a little hesitant about that.

I'm willing to spend up to about $1,500 (maybe a little more depending on how they tax the severance pay I'll get)
Would prefer a lighter machine, but something heavier is not a deal breaker.
Screen size 15" (again, flexible here)
I'm fine with a smaller ssd to contain the OS, as long as there is a slot for an additional ssd for me to add a larger one for other programs.
Prefer NVidia video

Smack - at this time, I'm not gaming anything, but once I start my new job (1/16, yay!) and I'm not so burned out, I may start feeling the itch again. So the fact that my current monitors don't support 3d gaming isn't an issue. If I get interested in something like that down the road, I'll pick up new monitors and keep these for work use if my new job comes with a work laptop (probably, as they said occasional work from home is allowed / encouraged as needed).

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

Ylyrra wrote:Rapi - have you had any issues with the other MSI's? How long have they been in service? I've read several reviews stating the same thing you said about their casing being unreliable, so I'm a little hesitant about that.
We purchased six MSI laptops. Only 1 of the 6 gets the home < - > work trip and its the one that has issues so likely stress from repeated open/closing the lid. All the others are fine but they pretty much stay in the office and only occasionally move around.

I would venture that nearly any laptop that gets moved around a lot is going to fail sooner rather than later and if you plan to commute with it then buying the extended warranty may be something to consider.
Ishtass

Post by Ishtass »

I just wanted to pipe in to say that I love docking stations. If you ever intend to pick it up and move, being able to just set it down at your desk and have everything already plugged in is really nice. If the docking station can support multiple displays, then it's even better.
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

Ishtass wrote:I just wanted to pipe in to say that I love docking stations. If you ever intend to pick it up and move, being able to just set it down at your desk and have everything already plugged in is really nice. If the docking station can support multiple displays, then it's even better.
Yea, I have a docking station at work for my work laptop currently and it is nice. I'm just not sure how common it is to find one compatible with laptops with gaming specs.

Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

Docking stations also add $100+ to the total cost but might be a good way to get the multiple monitor support.

Spent an hour or two looking over various google fu's for "gaming laptop reviews" and you only have a couple options for driving multiple displays.

Asus , MSI, Alienware (Dell) all have something in the 15" - $1500 range.

I like the specs of the ASUS model but they choose a horrible orange for highlights. Its as bad as raps "day glow" robe.
Ishtass

Post by Ishtass »

Rapitiss wrote:I like the specs of the ASUS model but they choose a horrible orange for highlights. Its as bad as raps "day glow" robe.
This guy... acknowledges his crazy robe... still wears it.
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

Thanks - the Asus & Alienware were what I was leaning toward.

Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

Asus line that is close to what you want. Just need to find the model with right mix of SSD and video card.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6834234726

Here is a starting point for the alienware. You pay for the name. No SSD at all.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 24G5UD0716

Went to iBuyPower ( Never actually used them so ... ) which let me customize the $1200 base Asus gaming laptop to $1600 by adding +8 GB ram and + 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVME SSD -- Read: 3200MB/s; Write: 1800MB/sSingle Drive

The M.2 is a bit of a splurge but once you get used to the speed hard drives seem to take forever to load stuff.

https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Chimera ... /E/8401383
Ishtass

Post by Ishtass »

M.2 / U.2 >> SATA Express >> Sata 6.

If you care about hd speeds, that's the way to go. However... if you have a SSD at all you'll notice a large gain over standard HDs.
Phaolin

Post by Phaolin »

I have 2 Asus Republic of Gamers (RoG) laptops. 1 is almost 10 years old & i can 4 - 5 box on it, though since video card is older, I have some settings turned down. I highly recommend Asus laptops. Mind you, I did upgrade the ram to 16 gig, & switched out main HD for a ssd.
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

I have actually used iBuyPower before. It's who I bought the current desktop system through a little over 7 years ago. I may increase the budget.. we'll see. :)