oh what fun

Moderator: Moderators

Alsmack
Officer
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Post by Alsmack »

Rapitiss wrote:How long did it take you to "fix" your computer?

How long does it take to do a fresh install ?

For me a fresh install takes 4 hours for the os and about 4-6 hours configuring applications.
4 hours to reinstall? what slowness is that? Take me about 30 minutes for the O/S, then about an 30 minutes to get EQ up and going and I'm good =P
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

EggbornHatchedrotten wrote:Last time I got my computer it took months to get back my stuff. Some of it is still missing, like some itunes files, and my old sound card settings, which I rely upon heavily for work. I need to come up with random music at the drop of a hat in front of sometimes, let's say 40 PreKindergarten children, and I 'd like that to be working the week before elementary songfest, High school and middle school concert, my first union contract negotiation with the opera, and my four day field trip to Nashville. Even at work , every itime they take my laptop and "update" it, it screws up my sound programs and it runs slowe. I had to entriely give up on using the smartboard in my class with music with the last "update". Reinstalls and updates are the debil. I don't need that kind of grief.
First off, grats on getting it sorted. I've always found it more time consuming to fix rather than to reinstall, but I do installations so often that it's second nature and I can get them done quickly.

Secondly, I'm curious what "sound card settings" and music programs you're using. I'm pretty familiar with this arena having done music composition (Finale, Sibelius) and production (lots of stuff) and I'm just kind of curious what specific needs there are there, if you don't mind my asking =)
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

Alsmack wrote: 4 hours to reinstall? what slowness is that? Take me about 30 minutes for the O/S, then about an 30 minutes to get EQ up and going and I'm good =P
If all you do is EQ I could so that :)

It usually takes me a few minutes to go dig up my install disks. Then once the actual install is "done" you have a good 30-40 patch/install - you should reboot now's . so 4 hours is kind of a ball park estimate and might be a little longer or shorter.

Then I copy over EQ from external drive or another computer on the network, 15-20 minutes. then patch eq. Copy over WinEQ, and other project files. I keep most everything in c:\home so its easy to find.

Then I start installing all my development stuff. Dev Studio 2005 , 2010, etc. Install office, chrome, do the patch thing again. This part can easily take 2+ hrs with all the patching.

And over the next two weeks try and remember all the passwords for the various sites I use :)
EggbornHatchedrotten

Post by EggbornHatchedrotten »

Adobe Audition, Finale, itunes.

I mourn the loss of a custom special effect room setting that my dad created in Audition several years ago on the last reinstall.

I have an older version of Finale yet, so when I want an mp3 of a composition I must play it and record it from my computer in Adobe or any other sound recording program. That always get screwed up when I start over.

My itunes lists always disapear. Some of them I have on my old ipod, but I haven't been able to rip them back to the computer sucessfully for a few years.

Because of that I have a list on this computer and a seperate library on itunes.

All of the music that I bought on napster years ago is missing as well, and napster says I never had an account, so about 100 bucks down the drain there too.

I tend to run VLC media player, but that's on my laptop. I have few problems with that. I do it because I have DVD's in three different region codes that I use all year with my students.

Youtube is blocked at work, so I also use realplayer to download videos, email them to myself, convert them to itunes at school (and save them to yet another playlist I have on that computer. In my spare time I get them converted and saved here too. I also have a second ipod classic cause my old one won't play in sterios anymore from the soundjack. It has a whole slew of different things on it.

I took several hours one summer to take seven grades of albums from the school, and play them (one song at a time, due to special grooves between each song on these albums to stop them from going on) through a power amp plugged directly into my soundcard, and recording them in wave format via Adobe Audition. I did some variations of the keys that they are in, and the speed at which some of the songs are played to have more variety that I need for some of my classes via this program.

I use something called Realtek for my sound card. It allows me to select a way to record from my computer if I need to. That was the third one that was loaded to this computer that I know of, and it finally worked. I had something else that I am not sure of in the past. Regular controls in windows doesn’t cut it.

I also have a Yamaha Pocketrack C24. It uses two ports, not sure why (it crashed my computer when I didn’t remove it from both lol) I don’t have the software that goes along with it, and I mostly just make very low grade rehearsal MP3’s with and upload them to the computer, but it can be a very powerful and nice recording device.

I managed to make a stack of some of them in CD form, but I stopped when I got to over 60 CD’s. It took a long time to label all of these songs as well in the various programs.

Some of these files went missing from my computer and can no longer be located, so they only exist on this old ipod, despite my best efforts each time at retrieving them. I got some playlists back, but not the original files. Unfortunately I am unable to buy them because the albums are from the 1980s that go with my texts, and the school district won’t upgrade my books or recordings. They are out of print anyway. ) we had a fist fight in kindergarten once cause a sub didn't know how to use a record player, gave them "fre time of all things, that sealed the deal for this work)

I also have several albums and cassettes from my choir music, and things I have picked up at flea markets over the years that I use in my classes. I also added these by playing and plugging into my sound card.

I use my keyboard through a midi in/out to a USB port to hyperscribe via finale, compositions into this program so that I have written and midi playable files from the sheet music I own. Sometimes, if I want to make a practice CD, I need to record a new file for each part, so that can take a while per song. Going on 8 years of these such files, when they go missing from itunes, it can be also quite annoying. Not sure where all this goes, but it’s a bitch to get back, cause it’s a lot of desperate phone calls to friends for help each time I have to do this.

I want to upgrade my finale, but although this makes no sense from what I am hearing old style files will not open up in the new version. That is dumb, it should be new files shouldn’t open up in the old, but whatever. That would still be a problem when my school upgrades and I don’t..

I try to save a lot of stuff on my school’s server, but of course with the CLOUDS out there now I am sure that will be obsolete in the future. I guess I should look into doing that. Boy it’s bad enough needing a computer up and running to do the smallest of tasks, such as draw on the board, but needing a viable internet connection just to print out a make up quiz for 7th grade at the last minute will be even worse! Server drives.. um don't work in Ituens. What's the romace with the C drive?

Mu budget was cut to a quarter of it's formaer $$ so I am a packrat of teaching supllies and music.

I think it’s back to pen and paper and my acoustic guitar for the rest of my life. Want to join me in my cave anyone?