oh what fun

Moderator: Moderators

EggbornHatchedrotten
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

oh what fun

Post by EggbornHatchedrotten »

Not so interesting read, but trying to solve:

Java doesn't work, despite my efforts at removing and reinstalling, so no magelo update.
Sound card fails regularly.
Adobe Acrobat Reader doesn't work, despite my efforts at removing and reinstalling.
When I try and go to websites, in any browsers (I use Internet Explorer as my default, but tried a few others), I get the cannot display page error or sometimes it just closes my brower right away, even on my home page. This happens about 30% of the time.
The worst of it is this gigantic Xfinity Constant Guard floating thing that takes up a quarter of my screen. Sometimes it goes away for a day, but it always comes back. I dont have any Xfinity softward on my computer that is any sort of this type of thing.

I run Windows XP Pro OS and use Avast free anti-virus.

Here is my day(s) so far on their website. I am impressed at least that I am getting a response, even though I don't pay them anything. At this point I wouldn't mind a pay check for all these hours. I only logged on to check my bank statement, which I haven't done yet lol.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=123088.0
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

Wow Eggy.. :shock:
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.
bubbakat

Post by bubbakat »

You probably already tried this but can you restore to a date prior to when you had a problem?
EggbornHatchedrotten

I hate to do that. My sound card has been failing on and off since February and that was before I did my taxes. I got a nasty virus through Turbo Tax. Also, my system restore was corrupt and eventually went missing so no lol. I got it back about 5 scans ago.

However, after about 14 differnt scans I have java back up and running and my sound card functioned on the last reboot. It's getting there. I just have to get rid of the gigantic Xfinity rectangle in the middle of my screen. :)

I think things may be running better than before, despite the constant guard bot alert rectangle.

Now I am no computer expert, but I also get the feeling that running system restore to remove a virus is kind of like appologizing to your spouse for having an affair.

It's on my husband's phone too. That really bites with those small screens. My phone is fine.

Now I have to go and check my bank account. I hate doing that.. It's like playing the lottery that you scratch off a ticket and see how much you lost instead of won.
Timothian

Post by Timothian »

Regarding Constant Guard, I find it incredibly annoying and do not have it. I have Comcast and there is a way to download a version of Norton without it, but impossible to find by searching on the Comcast web site, you have to google it. You may be able to go to uninstall Constant Guard via control panel and still have your core Norton program working ok.

Constant Guard is a piece of garbage that overlays Norton Security Suite. I do not want a program managing my passwords etc. Your virus protection and firewall is contained in Norton Security Suite.

Regarding you computer issues, Norton does have a good registry scanner, but think you have to manually select it to run. I use System Mechanic and run it constantly for registry clean up, defrag, etc; it is main tool I use for correcting issues on a computer, but it is not free.
Aaeadiel
EggbornHatchedrotten

I hate Norton :) Haven't used it for years.

The latest on my thread was, "oh that!" I thought it was a parental control thing. Post another log. Getting close!

It's on Antionious' phone too.
Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

You're at the point I would have reinstalled. Sounds like you got a nasty infection somewhere; only way to be sure it's gone is to wipe it clean and start fresh.

That said, if the avast guys can clean you up, good on them! But it's not an easy task.

Also Norton was good back in the day, but it's been bloatware for a long time. As vowels said, it's just an overlay for norton's bloated security suite. I would remove it and not look back. Also having double virus protection software will kill the performance of your system and can cause lots of issues.
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
Noircogi

Post by Noircogi »

Clean install (with reformat) then load Microsoft security essentials and you'll be golden.

System restore is the very best way to remove most virii/trojans but it's better to not get one in the first place by making sure you have user access control enabled.

I know you don't like that answer but you could do the whole thing plus re-install the stuff you really care about in a couple of hours. Just make sure you have your important data backed up somewhere (always not just for this).
<a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8086669378" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noirfu</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8086971761" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noirts</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8086666074" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noircogi</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8086714703" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noirbs</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8088810431" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noirmz</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8087042179" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Biffle</a>
Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

Noircogi wrote:Clean install (with reformat) then load Microsoft security essentials and you'll be golden.

System restore is the very best way to remove most virii/trojans but it's better to not get one in the first place by making sure you have user access control enabled.

I know you don't like that answer but you could do the whole thing plus re-install the stuff you really care about in a couple of hours. Just make sure you have your important data backed up somewhere (always not just for this).
I never had good luck with System Restore in Windows XP; Windows 7 I've had okay luck with it on client computers but I personally turn it off on my own. If I get to the point I'd need to use it, I usually prefer to reinstall anyways.
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
Noircogi

Post by Noircogi »

I can believe that. I've not used XP in many years.
<a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8086669378" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noirfu</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8086971761" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noirts</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8086666074" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noircogi</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8086714703" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noirbs</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8088810431" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Noirmz</a> | <a href="http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/chara ... 8087042179" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> Biffle</a>
EggbornHatchedrotten

Yeah $$ for 7 or I would.

So far so good. I think avast fixed all of my problems. Java works, sound card doesn't fail, adobe works, and I don't have the floating rectangle anymore.

My system restore was also failling, and I ran a program that fixed it. It disconnected me from internet for a time, did something to my clocks, but then reset it too. Was nutso all these programs I ran.
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

EggbornHatchedrotten wrote: Was nutso all these programs I ran.
This is why I usually am quick to just break out the disks and re-installing.

If you do decide to wipe and start over, you might want to look at a system backup/restore thing like "clonezilla".
EggbornHatchedrotten

Well Comcast called me and left 7 phone messages and 5 emails in the last three days. On the 6th phone message they mentioned that this was about the complaint I filed against them with the FCC, so I called back.

The "executive" office guy said that the rectangle indeed comes from them. It's their way of protecting their system from harm from things I might pick up using their interent connection. There is no way to get rid of it. If I have something wrong it's going to pop up and stay on my screen until my computer is clean.

He claimed I could click on links on the rectangle (however they never work) to fix it. Also, that I could have free Norton software to help fix it. I mentioned that I ran free Avast and that they were the ones who actually helped me fix it. The executive guy said that he also used free Avast lollolololol..

I mentioned that his operators knew nothing of this rectangle and thought from my description that it had to be a bot itself. Well most did, one said that I had a bot detected, but denied that kind of thing would show up on my screen from them. All operators tried to sell me Norton for 139 dollars. All but one operator refused to help me unless I broke out the credit card and bought Norton. One referred me to a fifth telephone number which was Norton who's operator said I could download a free version of Norton, but she hadn't heard of such a thing from Comcast. Once I did that, and if that didn't work , call back and she may be able to help me. Unless the problem was very bad then she could sell me Nortom for 139 dollars to get the help I needed.

All he did was thank me for my information and said they needed better communication in their company, and that they shouldn't have tried to sell me Norton. Yeah, bulshit, I didn't even have to smellor taste it. I only had to see it. Oh well, but at least Avast helped me. I never did buy Norton. I was hoping for a few months of free internet for my trouble, NOT even a free desert! Just 7 phone messages, five emails, and some of my chicken and waffles burnt and cold.

Don't get a virus if you have Comcast, and if you do.. get free help from avast! No reinstall needed so far. I wish I dind't have to use comcast, and they didn't make it seem like I had to use Norton.
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

How long did it take you to "fix" your computer?

How long does it take to do a fresh install ?

For me a fresh install takes 4 hours for the os and about 4-6 hours configuring applications.
EggbornHatchedrotten

Rapitiss wrote:How long did it take you to "fix" your computer?

How long does it take to do a fresh install ?

For me a fresh install takes 4 hours for the os and about 4-6 hours configuring applications.
I am not sure where my CD's are. I think they still work. That's what I would use right? They are from my Gateway computer years ago I think. Antionious surprised me a few years ago with this computer that Moldy built for me.

I think Vista was out and I was scared. Ant might have bought new OS, no clue.

It took a long time to run scans, but that was extremely easy, didn't involve several phone calls to my husband at work, and was immediate feedback on my progress.

Last time I got my computer it took months to get back my stuff. Some of it is still missing, like some itunes files, and my old sound card settings, which I rely upon heavily for work. I need to come up with random music at the drop of a hat in front of sometimes, let's say 40 PreKindergarten children, and I 'd like that to be working the week before elementary songfest, High school and middle school concert, my first union contract negotiation with the opera, and my four day field trip to Nashville. Even at work , every itime they take my laptop and "update" it, it screws up my sound programs and it runs slowe. I had to entriely give up on using the smartboard in my class with music with the last "update". Reinstalls and updates are the debil. I don't need that kind of grief.

I appreciate your advise though. A lot of folks have a lot of good advice. I am extremely happy about the way I did it, and for me it was vastly superior to attempting the complexity of a fresh install.

Just like doing dishes or laundry; I like to let otthes do these pita chores as much as possible so I can do some real work. This is a tool for fun and work, but there is no way I am fixing this tool on my own. That is the last mundain, frustrating thing I would be doing. The scans allowed me to go do real work while they were running, and I had nearly instintanious help for free as I did them.

Not that I enjoy spending my only time to plan for 30 mintues making phone calls to parents cause their sons didn't bring a lawn chair into school, (I DESPISE PEPOPLE WHO MAKE PROMISES THAT THEY CANT KEEP) and waiting for 10 minutes in a line for the school secretary to finish her conversation with the guidance councelor about her garage repairs and dealing with the 1000, 000 thousand things she has to deal with every micro-second of her job so I can find out where I am allowed to park on a certain day.

Thankg goodness my principal so far doesn't micromanage me. Can you tell I hate being told what to do? Yeah I do. (understatement of the year)
Adding a reinstall of my computer to these small items might just put me over the edge.

anyway my point is.. reinstalls always caused me more grief and more time than a mere four hours. What I did instead was awesome, free and worked. Others may choose to take yor advice, and that's fine. I am glad I didn't. Of course, is it advice since it came after the fact?

Ah that felt good!

I'll check out clonezilla, thanks. I hope this doesn't happen to me often.