Wireless cards

Moderator: Moderators

Proxzemidus
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Wireless cards

Post by Proxzemidus »

Anyone know how i can boost my wireless card so that it has a large range, missed last 3 raid nights due to no connection or lack of a steady one. Was curious if theres anything i can order online or goto say Futureshop, etc to actually make my wireless card better then it currently is.
beornj
Officer

Post by beornj »

Have your neighbor install an AP closer to you or have them get a better external antenna. I have seen some wireless cards with larger external antennas but in my experience they do not work so well without the source AP sending a better signal.
Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

Beo hit the nail on the head. It depends primarily on the source. You can buy yourself a quality card with a nice hi-gain antenna and have an extremely good receiver sensitivity, but if the source signal is too weak it's too weak.

The only other option would be to check your wireless drivers and see if you can force your card to only run at lower speeds. Some cards will try to push your SOM below 10dB and that's just asking for disconnects when your "higher speed" can't stay connected. Try forcing it to 802.11b standards, or 11Mbps, and see if it gets better.
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus