New Computer

Moderator: Moderators

calarea
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Post by calarea »

Thanks for the advice. We have been stuck on the mobo selection. The more i read reviews on mobo's the more confusing it has become. If you think the 680i will be a stable mobo then i think that will be the choice. It looked good when i first looked at it but some of the reviews seem to be bad.

Thanks
Cal
Timothian

Post by Timothian »

I am fan of build your own PCs for reasons Faz stated, also your system is much "cleaner."

What I mean is, everything you have in your computer, every bit of software that is running has a chance to fail, or be incompatible with something, so less is better. Too often, computers that are pre-built and come include stuff that sounds great, but in reality you seldom use, and the computer company seldom supports. Too often the software they include are stripped down versions or have limited licenses. They also love to include hardware specific software to drive special buttons on keyboards, or some sort of photo center. Compaq at times has even had modified versions of the operating systems installed to support their "features." Most of it ends up being junk after a while. If you are computer savy, you can normally remove this stuff off your computer. I owned several compaqs years ago, and one was a great machine after I tweaked it.

It is best to have as few things running on your PC as possible. This is not only for speed, but to avoid crashes. I disabled Windows Security Center, do not have any kind of virus or adware checker running in background by default. I even strip out Windows services that are not needed for my configuration. This takes a bit of knowledge, but when you build your own, you are much closer to this, than when you buy one out of box. I of course run virus checkers, adware stuff etc, but manually do this. My network is behind hardware firewall, and my email is MSN which does good job scanning for viruses.
Aaeadiel