SOE buying Vanguard

Place where people can talk about other games other than our beloved EQ1

Moderator: Moderators

Ducatti
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

SOE buying Vanguard

Post by Ducatti »

VANGUARD: SAGA OF HEROES FINDS A NEW HOME
- Sigil Games Online and Sony Online Entertainment In Talks To Co-Publish Sigil's Ground-Breaking New Game -

May 5, 2006 - Carlsbad & San Diego, CA - Sigil Games Online and Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE), a global leader in the online games industry, today announced that Sigil is working with Microsoft Game Studios on an arrangement to acquire the rights to its highly anticipated massively multiplayer online (MMO) game, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. These efforts have resulted in a tentative agreement for Vanguard to be co-published by both Sigil Games Online and SOE. All three companies will be showing the game at the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) as they work closely together for a successful transition. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is scheduled to launch this winter.

"As the development process is ongoing and constantly shifting, it became clear that MGS and Sigil had varying visions and direction for the title's development," said Brad McQuaid, CEO of Sigil Games Online. "In the best interest of Vanguard, it was decided that we would buy back the publishing rights from Microsoft."

As co-publisher of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Sigil assumes greater control of marketing and PR, while maintaining responsibility for game development, community relations, media relations, customer support, and quality assurance. Under the terms of the agreement, SOE will provide distribution, marketing, hosting and back-end support -- including billing and technical support -- for the game. Additionally, SOE is tentatively planning on adding Vanguard, upon its release, to SOE's Station Access? subscription plan. Station Access allows players to enjoy all of SOE's MMO titles for one low monthly price.

"We are very excited to be working with so many old friends at Sigil," said John Smedley, president, Sony Online Entertainment. "Vanguard looks beautiful and has an incredibly rich game world. It's the type of game that will appeal directly to SOE's hundreds of thousands of players and should fit in perfectly with the current line-up of games available in Station Access."

"This decision was made mutually by Sigil and Microsoft, in the best interest of the long-term goals for the title," said Phil Spencer, General Manager at Microsoft Game Studios. "As a key Windows development partner, we will continue to work with Sigil to ensure Vanguard's ongoing success."

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is the next generation of massively multiplayer online games. The journey takes place in the fantasy setting of Telon, a vast and ancient world of magic, intrigue and adventure. Facing the challenges of a war torn world, the diverse people here struggle to rebuild their once great civilizations. A fragile alliance has been struck, with the lands set upon by invading forces, the races must band together to survive.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is currently in a closed beta phase. The game will remain available via Fileplanet for existing beta testers during the transition to SOE. New information will be sent out to testers as the changeover occurs.

For more information about Vanguard: Saga of Heroes please visit www.vanguardsoh.com.

About Sigil Games Online
Based in Carlsbad, California, Sigil Games Online is a studio dedicated to creating massively multiplayer online (MMO) games. Founded in 2002 by Brad McQuaid and Jeff Butler, key figures in the development of award-winning EverQuest, the company plans to be a driving force in the continued evolution of this unique genre. Sigil Games Online is comprised of an all-star team of experienced developers with an impressive pedigree of commercially successful and critically acclaimed online games. For more information, visit www.sigilgames.com.

About Sony Online Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games, with hundreds of thousands of subscribers around the globe. SOE creates, develops and provides compelling entertainment for the personal computer, online, game console and wireless markets. Known for its blockbuster franchises and hit titles including EverQuest?, EverQuest? II, Champions of Norrath?, Untold Legends?, and PlanetSide?, as well as for developing Star Wars Galaxies?, SOE continues to redefine the business of online gaming and the creation of active player communities while introducing new genres on various entertainment platforms. Headquartered in San Diego, CA, with additional development studios in Austin, TX, Seattle, WA, and Taiwan, SOE has an array of cutting-edge games in development. SOE is owned by Sony Pictures Digital and Sony Computer Entertainment America.

SOE, the SOE logo, EverQuest and PlanetSide are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment LLC. Untold Legends is a trademark of Sony Online Entertainment LLC. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Sigil Games Online are trademarks of Sigil Games Online, Inc. (registration pending). All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

NOOOO.. didn't the guys at Sigil learn anything with the way SOE has screwed up Everquest??

Very depressing news.
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.
Taunto

Post by Taunto »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
EggbornHatchedrotten

Post by EggbornHatchedrotten »

I thought part of their sales pitch was that they learned from what things Sony did wrong! hahaha
money talks..
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

Hmm.. okay.. having waded through what is now a 40 page thread over on the VG:SoH forums, I'm more at ease with this decision. Having read several posts by Brad McQuaid and Jon Grande from Sigil, this does not appear to be another case of SoE coming in to taint the waters.

From all appearances Sigil will still retain full and complete control of the game. All SoE will be providing is distribution, billing & technical support. One thing I was VERY happy to read is that Sigil will still be providing the in-game customer support. I'm one of those that has played EQ long enough to remember when GM's were actually helpful and friendly people. Petitions were addressed by real people who knew and understood the game and you didn't get canned responses. It will be nice to see that kind of customer service again. (Yes.. I have every intention of trying VG:SoH when it releases).

/breathes normally again

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.
Ducatti

Post by Ducatti »

Got a link to the thread Ylyrra?
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

It has now been condensed into a handy FAQ posted here:

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=51405

However.. the original thread is located here:

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=51136

datura

Post by datura »

It made complete sense when he explained it.

i mean, sony FEARS vanguard. so, if you cant beat the competition, buy it.

from what i understand, if someone controls completely an idea creatively, and only lacks control over marketing and distribution, they are in control. any attempt at manipulation on sony's end would be unenforceable. what will they do, delay shipments and mis-advertise it? both would be pretty easy to prove in civil court and claim damages. sure, sony has its own mmorpg "Lawyers: The Bloodsuckers" so beating them in court would be impossible, but it would allow sigil to re-select a distributor and marketer of their choice while court battles waged on.

we can only hope they dont put the nasty ass firona vie transvestite art on the vanguard boxes...
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

LOL Dat!

EggbornHatchedrotten

Well, it makes me feel like I could afford to try the game if they keep the same multiple game deal they have going. For that reason alone, it may be worth it to them. I can't be the only one who feels that way from what I have seen in other forums.

Creative control and customer service is influenced though by a company who would own it.

I have creative control over my classroom as a music teacher in that I am the "expert" in the district in my field and am the one who gets her hands dirty out in the field. However, if someone like, the taxpayers and the administration feel pressure to put their money in other areas, they can have the power to break down my program of study very hard, which of course, anyone who has attended a public school knows that happens in the arts often. They also have the opinion of throwing me and my program out.

Depending on the contract there, even if there is a creative control, they aren't the ones who own it. Unless you are the owner, you are under the mercy of the one who does if they so choose. Vanguard's creators are just confident that their product is so good that they will not be put in that position. It was probably worth the risk, but the risk is there.

I would doubt even Sony wants to really have such crappy customer service, but for some reason, they do. Is it due to financial issues? or creative ones? If it's financial, then Vanguard could be in the same position. Where is Vanguard gonna make sacrifices? Selling the actual game was their first one.
fazin

Post by fazin »

Ylyrra. talk to me ingame. I know one of our...old...guildie that is making a guild and intending to play Vanguard (as a matter of fact, already is playing in beta and all that).

can tell you more details ingame then.
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

SoE did not buy Vanguard or Sigil. They have zero creative input. Their sole function will be to provide technical support, distribution & billing. According to Jon Grande, VP of their legal dept, if SoE tries to exert undue influence to affect creative decisions (ie holding distribution or something similar), they will be in breach of contract and Sigil can legally walk away or pursue whatever measures they deem appropriate.

This is (as it stands) NOT in a position to be ruined by SoE. They have no real decision making authority here. In effect, you can look at it as Sigil entering into a contractual agreement with SoE to provide a service.

The creative decisions are still 100% Sigil Games. The in game customer service will still be Sigil. All decision on production schedule, expansions, etc are 100% Sigil.

aulinya

Post by aulinya »

OK, so the question is....who is going to try it out? Anyone beta?
Aulinya Sonos
Muse of the 73rd Song

"The queenly bard
Must smile the chords rudely and hard,
As with hammer or with mace;
That they may render back
Artful thunder" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
EggbornHatchedrotten

I app'd to beta a while back, but my computer sucks too badly!

:(
valkyri

Post by valkyri »

That news sure shocked me, soe has been in decline for a bit and publishing vanguard sure will help them maybe as much as it will help sigil gain total control over there game development.

Altough i didnt keep a good opinion of soe i cant go against the fact they have experience in marketing/distribution and have stable servers (wasnt always like that but it sure was last time i played). Has long as sigil retains 100% control over the content and ingame CS il be a happy lizard.
Valkyri Malkier.
2 INC! err.. 3. make that 4, screw this TRAIN INC!!!
I train stuff :twisted: