RAM question

Moderator: Moderators

Marmie
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

RAM question

Post by Marmie »

What kind of info do you computer geniouses out there need if I were to ask a recommendation (did I spell that right?) for getting another RAM chip?
Morendo

Post by Morendo »

Usually the model and make your motherboard.

If you have computer that you bought, you can usually look up your computer model from the manufactors website and they will tell you the specifications for the RAM.

Once you find that out, go to newegg.com and search for the RAM you need. Then you can save some $$ and install it yourself, which is very easy.

Otherwise if you have some extra cash to burn, you can always drop it off at Best Buy or a local computer shop and they can look at the computer and order the right RAM and install for you.

Only problem with dropping it off is you could be without your computer for a week or so, depending if they have the particular RAM you have in stock, or if its a special order.
fazin

Post by fazin »

If you got a ram chip already installed. You could get another one identical to that and install. If you just wanna swap it completely out then yes. go with morendo's suggestion.
Marmie

Post by Marmie »

So basically contact the seller (Alienware) and purchase another one? Now, I have 2x 256 RAM chips. Will my computer work if I get a 512, or should I get another 256?