Monk vs. Bard, the debate over starting over. (NEED INPUT)

Moderator: Moderators

fazin
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Post by fazin »

Honestly there is no comparsion for one other. A person good in his class will do things that may seem extraordinary for that class but normal for another.

To cite an example. A bard is considered a weak enchanter in a pinch (because they can only mez 1-3 at the most) and yet a few good bards were able to shine for being able to mez all 6 rathe men while invictvs rez up their dead encs and get back in action. Enchanters were ideal for the job but bards outshined because they carried out a task that was deemed nearly impossible for bards but not so for enchanters. See what I mean?
Jvarin

Post by Jvarin »

I've seen some bards (like Naur and Auxie and some others...) do some crazy stuff.

I've seen some monks (like Bascome) do some crazy stuff.

It's really all in the player...

My new problem is... how do I finish this term paper when I'm all excited about learning EQ again and playing a bard? Ugh.
[magelo=1204822]Jvaarin[/magelo] "Level 46 bard and climbing!"
[magelo=225700]Jvarin Fox[/magelo] Retired Paladin
"Smoth, smoth liek a shamna"
fazin

Post by fazin »

easy. finish the term paper and reward yourself by playing EQ =)

it's call positive reinforcement. helped me get 3.8 in my college degree =)

I loved blowing everyone away that I could do so well while not being able to hear the teacher drone away in lectures and making everyone asleep. :lol: :lol: 8)
Jvarin

Post by Jvarin »

The only problem with that is once I get this term paper done, I get to start on a project that is due in two weeks...

...and then another term paper...
fazin

Post by fazin »

One step at a time bro.

I remember having to do 10 page reports for each one of 3 classes every 2 months (The glory of fast track program. Finshing 2 years degree in 1 year.)
Thommy

Post by Thommy »

For the record, since I've seen it a couple times on this thread, bards can mez 4 easily, 5 at the most if we get 0 resists.

As for bards and monks, I definitely think a bard is more fun, but never having played a monk before, I guess I'm biassed. Bards definitely have more tools at their disposal, especially for soloing, although twisting can be a pain (sometimes literally).

Although I don't know you, I'm sure it will be fun to have you on the bard team Jv :P I don't think I have any old equipment because I just gave away all I had to another bard twink, but I'll check again and see if I can find anything. See ya in a couple weeks :D
Gumbelle

Post by Gumbelle »

I've got bard twink stuff, if you start playing again, jv.

Any idea when? I coudl save these ornate greaves for ya' if it's not too far away. If they haven't sold by the time i get home ^.^
Jvarin

Post by Jvarin »

If I do indeed play, I'll most likely start sometime in mid May. After all this homework and school is done for the semester...
Trinkit

Post by Trinkit »

jvarin

Send me a tell sometime. Tocatta on EQ or [tell eq2.najena.trinkit.

As someone who's leveled up a twink bard in less than 20 played days to level 65 (with no powerleveling) and currently working on 70 (80% to go!) I can give you all sorts of tips that will also teach you every aspect of what it's like to play a bard, from charming, to mezzing, to dot kiting to swarm kiting plus help you level pretty damn effectively.

Oh, and until level 55, all I had was a good set of drums and a fungi. =)
Marmie

Post by Marmie »

I have a BL in the mid-20's if you want some help levelling up at that point in time. ;)
Mellodee X

Post by Mellodee X »

I played a monk for over 2 years up to 65. After about 50 AA,I took a break from EQ then decided the only way I would want to come back was as a bard. So I re-rolled my class and started a bard. 70 levels & 650 AA later, I'd say bards are much more fun.

At the high end, they have no problem pulling faster than monks. You don't have to wait for mem wipes. You can split mobs using snare, mez, or highsun instead of relying on mobs to split themselves.

Solo play with a bard is much easier. Bards aren't as dependent on gear so twinking isn't really an issue. Grab a good drum and chant kite your way to 70.

Bards get DA. Bards get mana song. Bards get Selo's. Bards get slow. Bards get 80 billion tricks in exchange for crappy melee DPS & a ghetto version of FD that will get you killed in a tight spot surrounded by see invis mobs.

There is one thing, though. There are very few good bards let alone GREAT bards. It is definitely the hardest class to be great at, but you're unstoppable if you reach that point.

However, iksar monks are the best looking beings on Norrath. I dunno what it is about leather & lizard skin...

If you want to pull, but also want to fill other support roles of the group (CC, mana regen, slow, haste, etc.) make a bard. If you don't want to have to be doing 80 things at once and want to pound the hell outta stuff, make a monk.
Vanyana

Post by Vanyana »

So did you start again JV? if so send me an in game email I'd like to hook you up with a few things.

Vanyana
Zeremi

Post by Zeremi »

Jvarin wrote:
As for being a SK, I have a personal long story of rivalry with SK's dating back to my days in House Hydra with Noxium. It would be sacrilige to play a SK now (and the class itself closely resembles the paladin I already have(or may have) that it wouldn't be too smart to start over with essentially the same type of character.
Translation: "I know that the SK class is way too advanced for a dumb ole Pally like myself. SK is just WAY too much power. I gotta keep it simple." :twisted:

-Zerm

P.S. Good to hear you're comming back, Jv.
Vanyana

Post by Vanyana »

You could always make a Shaman named Smoth Shamna.

or just name the bard Burget Kimg :D