Need a new KVM Switch

Moderator: Moderators

aulinya
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Need a new KVM Switch

Post by aulinya »

I posted this on the TP forum and got a few ideas but I need some more help:

I'm ready to throw my Belkin Omniview KVM out the window. I have a large single monitor, keyboard and mouse to use with my gaming computer or my laptop. I notice that there is an appreciable slowness running my character through a zone. I am now having problems with upgrading to a wireless keyboard/mouse through the KVM even though the wireless keyboard/mouse works wonderfully when connected directly to the gaming computer. Needless to say, neither Logitec and Belkin own up to the problem.

Does anyone have suggestions for a KVM that works better?
Aulinya Sonos
Muse of the 73rd Song

"The queenly bard
Must smile the chords rudely and hard,
As with hammer or with mace;
That they may render back
Artful thunder" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eviltowel

Post by Eviltowel »

I'm not a total computer techie, but some things i know can be passable as knowledge ;)

Chess has a KVM switch to bounce between his home work and gaming computers. Because of it, I've learned a few things. This is what I would say is going on, but not what you want to hear.

As you know a KVM switch is constantly connected to each computer saying that devices are connected (since stupidly half the time keyboards and mice still aren't fool proof hot swappable).

The KVM switch holds a connection from the keyboard and mouse and keeps a signal but suspends any action. (so theoretically you're still connected to both computers even though the mouse and keyboard are only useable on one)

Wireless mice and keyboards are a little different. While they with software keep a connection to a computer when directly connected, there's no software to tell a KVM switch that it's still connected therefore the KVM switch isn't happy with devices turning on and off.

That's the skinny from what I have been told... hope that helps

ET
Captain of WMHR (Wizard Minor Healing Rotation)

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=586530" target=_"blank">ET's Whips 'n Chains 'n all dem thangs</a>
aulinya

Post by aulinya »

Hey ET,

It is all good info. What brand of KVM switch does Chess have?
Aulinya Sonos
Muse of the 73rd Song

"The queenly bard
Must smile the chords rudely and hard,
As with hammer or with mace;
That they may render back
Artful thunder" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eviltowel

Post by Eviltowel »

I believe he has a Belkin, leaving work now, can let you know what he has for sure in the morning. :)
Captain of WMHR (Wizard Minor Healing Rotation)

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=586530" target=_"blank">ET's Whips 'n Chains 'n all dem thangs</a>