having a key with a repeat in game

Moderator: Moderators

Leska
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

having a key with a repeat in game

Post by Leska »

so, it would really be great if I could hold down a key and have it repeat. I can make it work in a chat window but for a spell casting spam key no go.

what is the easiest way to make that happen

Leska
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

EQ does that by design.

There is no easy path. There are some which might be less sucky than others depending on your tech level.

1 - hardware assisted keys from things like `gaming` mice and keyboards. Some models have `simple` macros that you can slave to some of the extra buttons.

2 - `autofire` gaming utilities. I haven't looked for them but google will surely reveal several.

3 - simple scripting programming languages like AutoHotKey or AutoIt. I've actually made a Diablo III autofire type macro back when I was playing that. Basically hit one button to turn on key spam. Hit button again to turn off key spam.

4 - The evil dark side of EQ automation which has lots of risks. ...

I'm sure there are others as well
Leska

Post by Leska »

I have used an auto fire program before, its ok for activities like fishing/foraging but I don't see using it during a raid.

the scripting thing could be a mess, I'm not doing any of the dark side stuff.

maybe a fancy keyboard is a good path for me. anyone have one they like?

once I get something that works, I think all the dps casters should get on bord with it, I think it has the potential to make for some big dps gains over trying to spam a key for 30 mins straight.

Leska
Thalsadoom

Post by Thalsadoom »

I've posted in many threads and in game chat on what I use. I use a Logitech G602 mouse. There are other gaming mice and keyboards that have software driven repeaters. Since then I think a few have started or have been using them.

It has several buttons on the side that can be hotkey'd to the software it comes with. The software has built in repeater. So what you do in the software is bind a button on the mouse to a specific key on the keyboard and it will spam that key when you press it. You then bind all what you want (Spells, or AAs) to the letter-key.

In the software you can adjust how often it spams the key. It can be super fast in like milliseconds to seconds (speed adjustment is very important because if you spam too fast the EQ client can't keep up and starts to do wonky things).

You can have it as an auto toggle or hold. Besically press it once and it contant spams, press it again to turn it off. Or hold it down to spam as long as your are pressing the button.

It makes an enormous difference. Going back I couldn't imagine mashing a hotkey 3000 times per raid.

Even if you think you are fast on mouse clicking spells/AAs like I thought I was, over the course of a raid the software repeater will out spell count you. Once your find the repeating sweet spot of no spell delay without overspamming it's very effective.

The only downside is communication can be a bit tricky. If you try to type in chat while it's active it's going to spam that key while you are trying to type. So you need to find a key that works in game but you never use and will have no side effect in the game or OS, something like "Pause/Break, or Scroll Lock".

Maybe I'll work on putting a tutorial together on my setup and see if there is enough interest.
Tonemez

Post by Tonemez »

Does anyone have a wired version of this mouse they would recommend? I am mostly interested in the auto fire of a key bind feature, but really do not want to mess with batteries or recharging of an input devices. I am not certain this would even require purchasing a mouse to achieve.
Thalsadoom

Post by Thalsadoom »

Yes, my G602 was $40-50 new 5+ years ago when I got it, not $100+ that you see on Amazon now. I'm sure there is newer wireless mice that's cheaper.

For a wired version you can go with G502 which is roughly $35 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Perform ... 98846&th=1

Also, a great writeup on setting up the mouse. I gave it a quick read thru and it's pretty much exactly what I recall doing when setting up my mouse with their software.

https://myclickspeed.com/logitech-auto-clicker/
Leska

Post by Leska »

Programmable RGB lighting and lightsync technology: Customize lighting from nearly 16.8 million colors to match your team's colors, sport your own or sync colors with other Logitech G Gear

hmm only 16.8 million colors hu? i guess that will do

ty for the link

Leska
Leska

Post by Leska »

ok got one and set it up took me a little bit to figure out how to get it to do what I wanted but ready to rock now!

ty again Thalsadoom

Leska
Thalsadoom

Post by Thalsadoom »

Sweet. You're welcome. They can be a little tricky to setup, but patience pays off.