new processor or new machine?

Moderator: Moderators

Zargut
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

new processor or new machine?

Post by Zargut »

Well I finally got around to trying a 6th toon, but on task manager the cpu is at 100% and on resource manager its running at 128%. The rest of the things like gpu and ram, and optane mem, are fine hovering around 50% or less. I know a little about computers, but I may (probably?) think I know more than I do! Going to to a little testing to see if I have much lag but it already seems funky. One of the temps was at 65C. Not sure if thats too hot or what?

So I'm looking at new processor or new machine. Current machine is a year and a half old or so according to bios date. Its a microcenter G224 (stats below) .

8core on sale that is a: ($330) Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 3.6GHz Eight-Core LGA 1151 Boxed Processor.

But theres an AMD 12 core same price, I dont know if I can use or not? (Seems like to go above 8 cores you need the 1200): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Matisse 3.8GHz 12-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Prism Cooler, for about the same price.

A little more money and on sale is: ($430) Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 3.6GHz Eight-Core LGA 1151 Boxed Processor

I have an 1151, but assume its far from the latest/greatest. Something about a 12? Maybe can only go above 8 cores with the better MB from what it looks like?

So do I piddle a little money into the cpu? Or do I go for a whole new machine with the better MB so I can go say 10-12 cores? (This is all assuming 8 cores will be enough to begin with?)

Oh also it showed processes 184, threads 2494, and handles 83432, and it was the gpu that was at 65C.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-PEHHUJB
System Manufacturer MicroElectronics
System Model G224
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 879817
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P3.00A, 9/3/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock
BaseBoard Product B360 Pro4
BaseBoard Version
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1"
User Name DESKTOP-PEHHUJB\pcarl
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
Faeodorus

Post by Faeodorus »

You have an 1151 (300) series motherboard, so you can only use intel CPUs that begin with an 8 or a 9. So the AMD 3900x would require a new motherboard (specifically an AM4 motherboard with a compatible chipset). I would hold off on upgrading to a new motherboard right now, for two reasons:

1) Intel's current offers are STILL on 14nm and their 10-core on their LGA 1200 platform can draw 250W+ when running full bore.

2) AMD is about to upgrade to AM5 in <18months, which should last another ~4 years like AM4 has.

You could upgrade to a 9700k or 9900k with your current motherboard, but of the 2 I would recommend the 9700k as the only real benefit to the 9900k is hyper-threading, which is of limited/no value to EQ.

What speed is your i5 running at when it is showing 100% and your system is slowing down?

If your cpu is running at less than its peak boost (~4ghz) when at 100% load, you can probably free up some performance by just buying a better CPU cooler and thermal paste. I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for thermal paste, and the biggest Noctua cooler you can fit in your case (unless you want to go water cooling, which is a slightly different conversation). This is a good place to start; you will need a high-end cooler for the 9700k anyway, as it doesn't come with a cooler and can still put out serious heat (over 150w).
Rapitiss
Officer

Post by Rapitiss »

Zargut, key info here :

i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s)
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Your CPU is only a 6 core but I expect you should be able to run six characters.

The key to running multiple instances is to find where you can limit what EQ is doing with out having it impact your gaming experience.

I'll send you a PM with some tips
Zargut

Post by Zargut »

Thanks Rapitiss. Yea even at 126% on resource manager I was able to run 6 chars in GMM no issues. Maybe I had something else running in the background. Your tips definitely have helped too. Thanks Faeodorus,
Ill look into the better cooling. Thanks!
Last edited by Zargut on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gibsalot

Post by Gibsalot »

one thing to remember is EQ is an OLD game and does not support more than 1 cpu core per instence of EQ running , i would recomend having at least an 8 core cpu for boxing 6 toons, 6 cores for EQ 1 for system stuff and an extra for stuff like browsers and other apps , but more cores would be better you dont realy need a faster cpu than you have just more cores.
if you go for the new AMD build get at minimum an X570 Mobo as AMD has announced that new procesor releases for the next cuple years will not be supported on AM4 socket chipsets pre X570 that will ensure you can upgrade CPU's latter down the road AM5 is supposed to come out in 2022