Fate of EQNext Decided

Moderator: Moderators

Alsmack
Officer
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Fate of EQNext Decided

Post by Alsmack »

DBG President announces cancellation of EQNext.

https://www.daybreakgames.com/news/dayb ... -next-2016

I want my Founder's Pack money back.
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
dalalron

Post by dalalron »

That letter is a real load of shit. It wasn't going to be "FUN" enough? How bout they realized the cost to make it fun would exceed their development budgets, even after us Landmarkers designed parts of it.
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

Sad news...
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.
Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

dalalron wrote:That letter is a real load of shit. It wasn't going to be "FUN" enough? How bout they realized the cost to make it fun would exceed their development budgets, even after us Landmarkers designed parts of it.
I generally agree that this was more likely a business decision. You don't hype a game for 2 years, take peoples money for the playground of Landmark that proves your engine, and then drop off the face of the planet for over a year because of a takeover. They shot themselves in the foot there I think.

However, having been in the gaming industry, it's a rough place to bring products to market, especially giant titles like this. If they don't have the money to do so, they don't have it. It takes a lot of money to put out an MMO. The level of transparency here is disappointing though.

I just hope this means more resources for EQ/EQ2. That's probably a pipe dream though.
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
queyin

Everquest Sunset

Post by queyin »

It's only a matter of time before EQ sunsets. How do I know this? Vanguard, Free Realms, EQNext cancelled...what's next?

Nothing lives forever. As much as I would love to be a Vampire, I can't because my spiritual alignment has always been at least neutral or above. I don't think I ever dipped down below neutral toward chaos or evil.

There are many ways to be immortal, and the path of evil gnomes is not it. Why join the darkside of the force when you can be like Hillary Clinton, stuck in the middle?
Phaolin

Post by Phaolin »

There is actually some good reasons why it was cancelled. At the moment, what they were trying to do is just not feasible, it would take too much bandwidth. 10 years down the road when everyone has gigabit plus internet connections maybe.