Which is better...and why?

Moderator: Moderators

Iane_Blaidd
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Which is better...and why?

Post by Iane_Blaidd »

we are trying to upgrade our hard drives atm and cannot figure out what is the best route.

10,000 rpm with 16 cache
7,200 rpm with 32 cache
variable speed with 64 cache

i got us a WD Green variable speed 1TB with 64 cache and the program we run to test our hardware is saying its running at 5,400 at times.

anyone have any thoughts???

oh i only buy Western Digital only hard driver maker i have had good luck with!
Iane Blaidd
105 Druid of Tunare
“Why do I even dare to think I could dream I could imagine I could hope?”
― Dylan Moran

Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

Depends on you data usage patterns. What are you using these drives for?

Also, I was pretty sure all of the WD Green drives ran at 5400, uses less power that way and thus makes it more "green." Could be wrong though.
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus
Muga

Post by Muga »

Well mainly how it goes like Alsmack said what you wanna do ,
AKA slow speed drive fine for file storage etc for home use purposes of course if its something you using it sparinly or looking for power consuption to a minium as well as heat, course usually last longer,

10k rpm usually if your wanting OS or faster responeses not worried about how hot it gets or set up cooling for it , they tend to wear out a bit faster if you let them get too hot , some peeps pref for game drive to

Though the higher cache usually gives better preformace making it into a crap shoot that the others could compete with like a 10k if it has 2x more cache etc,

In the grand scheme of things its all a trivial seems to me I mean yes there can range a some micro second over access time difrance over a minute or something if the price is right ;) size and then if you care about longivity , I've been die hard Western Digital as well Over 20 years ive had like 5 fail out god knows how many I still have some pushing like 10 years with out a issue, they are by far the easiest to deal with if it fails under warrenty, though I havent had that issue in like 10 years,

I do know there is a model of wd 1.5 TB drive had some firmware bug or something so been kind of avoiding those part the reason some those gotten really cheap , may even be a firmware update by now fixes the issue,
Iane_Blaidd

Post by Iane_Blaidd »

yeah seems to be 2 schools of thought about hard drives some say its all about the rpm and the others say its all about the cache.

mainly based on a 2 drive system, drive 1 being your OS and applications, drive 2 being all of your data. i would guess both drives need to match in rpm and cache or it will cause a bottle neck???

i have some really old crappy drives and i need something better
my OS drive is a 250GB 7,200 16 cache (partitioned in half; other half runs my virtual PC); and my data drive is a 320GB 7,200 16 cache so as you can see i need an upgrade!

i think i will skip the Green's i think Alsmack is right they are 5,400 and i need faster not slower!
Iane Blaidd
105 Druid of Tunare
― Dylan Moran

Iane_Blaidd

Post by Iane_Blaidd »

i guess its very important to point out my PC is not really a home PC like most people. i do all of my client work on it so it's really a work PC
Iane Blaidd
105 Druid of Tunare
― Dylan Moran