GRUB

Moderator: Moderators

Nizzi
Officer
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

GRUB

Post by Nizzi »

If anyone is famliar with using this, or how to resolve an error 17 please let me know.
fazin

Post by fazin »

you got a bootloader error.

Assuming you have Window XP

did you try logging in administrator console and do fixmbr fixboot? (or you can try fdisk /mbr if you don't have XP recovery disk)
Nizzi
Officer

Post by Nizzi »

I have a laptop from a guy I work with, and it starts up from the GRUB menu, and each of the partitions i go into and try and load the kernel from gives me that error.

From the looks of it was designed to be a windows/linux box.
fazin

Post by fazin »

try this.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#17

(that's a common error for dualbooting machines so i'm not surprised if the laptop is linux/windows)
Alsmack
Officer

Post by Alsmack »

you can use the grub menu to go through and look at the boot options for each option.

how far are you getting?

if you just can't load any option in the menu, something is wrong with those options. post the code under each option here and what it's suppsoed to be doing.

i'll also need to know the hard drive partition layout as well as what O/S resides where.

you can likely fix this very easily with a ubuntu or knoppix livecd and fix the grub.conf file and reapply grub to the MBR.

Also, what do you want it to do in the end? boot to windows? boot to linux? boot to both?

I don't have a box with grub on it in front of me to be more specific, but i also need more information to tell you how to fix your problem.
Alsmack | Rezlar | Dpses | Lynis | Medissin | Arbutus