Router Reinitializes

Moderator: Moderators

Timothian
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Router Reinitializes

Post by Timothian »

Can remote access connection manager service errors knock your router off line and cause it to reset? I noticed today in my event veiwer many many of these errors, and am wondering if it could be the source of my internet hiccups. I have an Netgear 614 router, acouple years old.

Details:

I have been having internet hiccups and determined that my router is reintializing, (not powering on and off, just clearing the logs, starting over). When the hiccup occurs the XP system error logs show a "DHCP" error where it looses the IP, and this makes sense.

This error seldom occurs if any one PC in my house is on (have not fully verified that all PCs in single mode actually do see this error.) It occurs more if two are on, and so often when 3 are on that you cant play EQ, and surfing the net is possible, but annoying.

I have no SW firewalls, Internet connecton sharing service is disabled, application gateway is disabled. In short, anything that I am aware of causing a DHCP conflict is off.

Prior to the resets the router log show no errors, strange traffic, no packet errors, collisions. This is from router log, I do not trust it for accuracy, but gives some idea on health.

My PCs all run xp service pack 3, fully patched, no addware, no viruses. I have lots of Windows services turned off.

I am just about positive it is my router going bad, they do that a lot here in Florida and I am ready to replace it. However, I noticed that my PC was getting other error messages. In event viewer, had a long list of "remote access connection manager" errors that stated the service could not start. I have telephony services turned off since I have no modem or voice on my pc. All my PCs have this off, and this will cause that error, but normally only once. I have hundreds of them, the system never stopped trying to start it. I just disabled the remote access connection manager service, since I do not need it. (and the remote access automatic connection manager service).

I am ok replacing the router, just curious about this. I do not see how this coule knock my router off line unless that error really is creating a bunch of traffic and causing a buffer overload of some kind.
Aaeadiel
beornj
Officer

Post by beornj »

I will preface this by saying.... anything is possible. However, what yuo describe should not be re-initializing the router, there is no connection to my knowledge that a service could have as you describe running on a computer that would interfere with a router in such a way.

It is important that you state that the router does not power off but does seem to re-initialize, is therre any chance it is a "brown out?" You really need to web or telnet into the router and see if you can get any logs off of it before/when it happens. If the ISP provides you a DHCP address for your external interface you should see be able to see how long it has had that address, this could give you an indication of how much of the router is failing when this happens.

If you see the lease maintained yet the internal interface is going down I would look for a firmware upgrade.

If you see both interfaces dropping then I would look at power or a replacement.

Good Luck,

-Beo
Timothian

Post by Timothian »

Yes, I do not see the connection fwith a faulty process unless it floods the router with garbage, but do not see that happening.

The cable modem has been solid, the lease is staying up for days. No changes or updates between router and cable modem. Only solid symptom is the restarts.

Thanks for the response
Just going to change out the router.
Aaeadiel
fazin

Post by fazin »

yah if your cable modem is rock solid then it rules out brownouts.

Sounds like your router is going bad. since you're already replacing it. hopefully that'll take care of the problem.
Timothian

Post by Timothian »

Just posting a follow up to this.

Yes, router was bad, I replaced it about a week ago and the network is rock solid. Now if the cable company and power company can get their act togeither. My lag in EQ dropped by 40 ms as soon as I swapped it out.

For those interested, bought a CISCO (Linksys) WRT54 G2 router, it is very nice. (This router is black with no attenaes sticking out, as they are built in). I have been disapointed with most home routers I have bought due to buggy set ups, poor menus etc, this is a good one. The menu set up is good allowing some sophisticated options in security, neworking etc if you want, but you can keep it simple too. The router is responsive to menu updates, network changes etc that made the set up go fast and easy with much less time waiting on the router to recognize the computer etc... Only issue with some of the setup options is poor grammer where you are not sure what checking a box means, "Yes, I do not want that feature on," or "No, I do want the feature on." Apparently they hired the same people who design the ballots used in voting for issues and referendums to write this stuff.

As a side note, my home was mostly hard wired with only the Nintendo Wii using the wireless, but I had a length of cable stretching down a hallway, so I got rid of this cable with a wireless access point. This is working out great. In the past I have had issues with getting this to work, but I thinkg the hardware is getting better.

My cable modem feeds my CISCO router which has one PC plugged directly into it. The router also has a wireless connection to a Linksys WAP54G Access Point (about 30-40ft away using mixed "b" and "g" setting). This feeds a small switch with in turn has several PCs tied to it via eithernet cable.

The directions for the Access point could of been a bit clearer in regards to the various modes and what they do. I set up the Access Point in as an "AP Client." Per the directions it looks as if I should only be able to feed one PC off it in this mode, but I have it tied to a simple switch with multiple PCs and it works smooth. It is as if this peice of hardware is transparent to the network and my router is able to do its DCHP stuff. No issues with mixed wireless/TCIP networks as it appears that my network is one single flat TCIP network with printing etc working well with no bridging needed, no issues. The wireless is using MAC filtering and WEP 64 bit (have to go this low due to the Wii).

My PC is at the farthest point out and performance is great in EQ and downloading.
Aaeadiel