Heya ES! I have a tech question...

Moderator: Moderators

Zeremi
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Heya ES! I have a tech question...

Post by Zeremi »

I'm onsite at a client and I've got a really odd situation on one workstation. I came to ES with hope that one of your gurus will once again give me the solution to this quirk.

Scenario:

-Windows XP Pro sp2 workstation with 2 Gig's RAM on a Win2003 Server Domain
-The 2003Server is the DNS server and DHCP server
-When logging in this workstation pauses a bit longer (15 sec) than normal at the Verifying User Name prompt.
-Once past that it hangs for a long time (hours) at the Applying Computer Settings screen.
-When that hang finally completes it gives the Windows Login sound and loads a normal desktop that performs with no noticeable problems. SQL database programs run fine, the internet works fine, I can ping the servers and various internet sites. All seems fine.
-After some troubleshooting I found that when the system is "hanging" at the Applying Computer Settings screen, if I unplug the network cable after about 10 seconds it will complete the login and give me the desktop. I then plug the network cable back in and all works fine.
-Other workstations have no unexpected pauses at login, even when using the same user credentials.

Questions:

-What "network" related process would cause an hours-long pause when applying local computer settings?
-Is DNS the culprit, even though my DNS server is point to the 2003Server exclusively?

Waiting in anticipation,

-Zerm
Salnayil

Post by Salnayil »

Using roaming profiles or no? Potential bad profile be it roamed or local. May want to rename the local profile to USERNAME_OLD and let it rebuild with logging back in. Then can copy the necessary stuff over if they have something critical locally. (This would definitly be worth looking at if other users can log into the box no problem and it's just that one person.)

Check the cross connect cables and switch them with a known "good" one. (Both ends, but one at a time.) Pinched wire can cause a collision issue that takes longer than normal to resolve depending on the switch/router.

Can do the classic NIC card switch to eliminate that.

Could also be the DNS setting up in TCP/IP so just do a quick check to make sure all the info is entered correctly and that the domain wasn't mistyped or something.

If you still have issue maybe check the switch/router. Could be an issue and that port may be colliding abnormally. (Only seen this a couple of times on dieing switches, but if you get that far along the line it's worth looking at.)
Brindain

Post by Brindain »

I personally think not playing eq is really messing with your computer :twisted:
Gadjett

Post by Gadjett »

Yeah I think the lack of eq time is really slowing your networking skills and you better ahow up at the reunion. It wouldbt be one without ya man..
oknagicsar

Post by oknagicsar »

I would agree wholeheartedly with the solutions that Sal gave.. I'd put my money on it likely being profile related since it doesn't seem to get giving any verification errors or anything
Zeremi

Post by Zeremi »

When and where is the reunion?
Ylyrra

Post by Ylyrra »

St. Lous - Time TBD. Check members section hon. /hugs
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.